Thursday, May 24, 2007

Bats! And some other non-flying things

I was going to the restroom this Tuesday on the evening shift, and saw what looked like a bird flying towards me in the library.



It wasn't. It was a bat.



A brown bat, and as it got closer I could see the distinctive "W" shaped wings. I ducked so that it wouldn't fly into my hair, but I wasn't scared of it. I think it was just trying to get out of the building, and it wasn't acting erratic or anything.



It made a nice U-turn in the air and headed towards the room with the servers. I was more worried that the bat would electrocute itself chewing a cable than whether or not the servers would go down. (Wouldn't THAT be a pity - snerk.)



I told my branch manager, and she left notes (in Spanish! Go bilingualism!) for the cleaning crew to watch out for the bat. She said something about bat being similar in Spanish to English, but I forget what the exact word is. Hey, I'm listening to Japanese CDs for my "43 Things" and I can't keep three languages in my head right now. I did take Spanish in high school and college, but we never learned the word for "bat".



I wonder what kind of bat was it. I'd better dig out those Zim guides over the holiday weekend.



Anyway, I was told there was still no sign of the bat this morning, and that maintenance saw a missing ceiling tile, and that our winged friend might have flown up there to sleep during the day. Stay tuned to this bat-channel for more breaking bat news.



I also found out that we're suppose to blog for 15 mins each day! WHA???? Man, this blog is going to be even more boring than I thought!



Still trying to find a horror book to read for my "read two genres you normally don't read" assignment. I picked horror and true-crime. I have true crime covered with "In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote, but horror is proving harder to find. I tried Darren Shan's "Cirque du Freak", but got bored. Tried "The Shining" by Stephen King and got bored. "Frankenstein" by Mary Shelley. Eh. "Guilty Pleasures" by Laurell Hamilton. Double Eh.



So now I'm trying "The Lottery and Other Stories" by Shirley Jackson. At least I finished reading "The Haunting of Hill House" earlier this year, even though I wasn't crazy about the ending. Too rushed. I was like, "this needs another 100 pages to explain what happened." To me, it was a like, (spoiler ahead) "WHA??? That's it? You bring in all these characters 50 pages from the end and NOTHING happens to them?"



Anyway, I gotta run. I'm off to Sexual Harrassment Training Workshop (I hope they mean PREVENTION, and not TRAINING.) See ya later.

No comments: